Saturday, March 17, 2012

St. Patrick's Day- Homemade Shamrock Chocolates

Shamrock Chocolate Lollipops and Candy 



I've been busy today making my loves homemade St. Patrick's Day
 Chocolates and Irish Potato Candy.
 My previous post has the Irish Potatoes in it, so be 
sure to read "St.Patrick's Day Homemade Goodies".
 As promised, here is how I made the candy today.


I used the Wilton Brand Candy Melt in Green.
I normally would have made the normal size bag
but since I made other goodies, I just made a small batch.


Next, you need to decide how you are
 going to melt your candy melts.
Are you going to use the microwave or 
use the double broiler style?
I  prefer to use the double broiler style. 
I find that the microwave 
doesn't melt them evenly.

To use the double broiler method,
 use a large pot and fill with water 
until its just under half full.
 Place a saucepan on top of the large pot.
 It's important for the saucepan to sit 
on the larger pot without touching the water.
 If the bottom of the saucepan touches the water,
 remove enough water so that it doesn't
 touch the saucepan at all.

Turn on the stove to a low to medium heat. 
Place the candy melts into the saucepan. 
*We are not boiling the water or cooking the candy melts,
 we just want to use enough heat
so they melt evenly without scorching.

Add Candy Melts to saucepan


This is how the double broiler method will look like.


Stir the candy melts with a wooden spoon.


Stir until completely melted and smooth.


Make sure you have a clean and roomy work space.
Have your candy template and tools in place in your space.
When the candy melts are ready, bring over the
saucepan and place on a hot-pad on the counter.
*I make my own hot-pads and pot-holders pictured here!


Using a spoon, gently scoop up some candy mixture
and place into the cavity of the template. Don't put alot of
candy melt on your spoon as it is hot and will slide right
off the spoon quickly and most likely overfill the cavity.
 *I use a grapefruit spoon. I find that it's smaller
 and more narrow than a normal size 
teaspoon and works perfectly. 


Using the spoon, gently push the candy melt 
around the cavity of the template evenly.


If you are making lollipops, add your stick now.
*I also use the same template for making the 
shamrock candy. Just stop filling when you get to the 
cutout for the lollipop stick.


Add a little more candy melt over the stick.

When finished filling up the template, put onto a cookie tray,
cover with wax paper and chill in the fridge. 
You can also chill them in the freezer 
for about 10-15 minutes or until set.

Remove candy from templates by gently tapping on 
the plastic on the opposite side. If you are having trouble
 removing the candy, put back in the fridge or freezer
 as they are not ready yet if they don't easily pop out.

When they are done..

Enjoy!!!!!




I always have volunteers to taste test the candy!
Today's candy testers are my 3 and 8 year old sons.
They are both wearing the handmade crocheted 
St.Patrick's Day Beanies that I made for them. 

By the way, they both Approve of the candy!

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment